Monday, August 22, 2011

Question of the Day: Liquid Mechanics Involving Protein Powder


WHY DOESN'T THIS EVER MIX WELL IN WATER?!?!

Headache01 asks "Why doesn't powder mixed into drinks (like whey protein powders or cocoa) dissolve very well? It clumps into balls that are wet on the outside but remain dry on the inside. How can I make my whey mix better?"

Well, given that proteins, and especially mixture of proteins, are amphiphilic (meaning the molecule has a part with an affinity for water, and another for fat/oils), they tend to orient themselves into microscopic structures known as micelles. Micelles allow the molecules to isolate their lipophilic ends away from the water and their hydrophilic end towards water, ultimately forming a spherical, tubular, or sheetlike structure.

While micelles are a microscopic phenomena, a similar thing is what causes the clumps in your protein drink; along the protein powder-water interface there will be two-layer sheet type structures where the hydrophilic parts of the molecules are facing the water and the lipophilic parts stay away from it.

Wonder why you should avoid warm water when mixing powders? The heat causes the proteins to lose their secondary structure and become entangled with one another, making it difficult to break up the clump since the clump's outer surface has essentially polymerized. Thus, using cold water keeps the proteins tightly coiled and less likely to get entangled with each other.

I almost forgot! The solution is to wet each of the solid particles individually first before dispersing them (e.g. mix in a small amount of water to form a paste). This will ensure that they disperse well.

17 comments:

I'll keep this in mind if I decide to start drinking the stuff.

I hear they aren't that great for your health though.

thanks a lot for this informative post. I'm very passionate about bodybuilding so I use protein powder a lot. I do notice that they dont dissolve well but didnt know why.

Thanks for the tips, I hate when my chocolate milk gets all lumpy, ruins the drink for me.

Great tip. I do use it, so will probably use the info here. Can science explain why it tastes awful?

I use protein powder a lot. At first I tried to put the powder in the bowl, then put oats over it and pour milk over that shit. Turned out as you said, not dissolved but instead gross as f*ck

Also to make sure to learn how to stir the japanese way. Which is the most effective way to stir powders into liquid ever.

To everyone having trouble with their protein, here is your solution:
href="http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html?zenid=906d3fbe95bee5eb3dd797a741b03681

It mixes well, and tastes great, the double rich chocolate does at least. Their casein protein however, no matter how you mix it is going to form a paste that when hardened, you could build your house out of.

Definitely paste technique is the best, though, for their whey. Start with the liquid (whole milk, the best, don't trip) add the powder, mix, then the rest of the milk.

Just this week, have started using the blender. Throwing some peanut butter in there, some fiber. Kind of complete meal, deal.

The way I do it is:
I have a milkshake maker thing, put it on full speed and slowly add my powder to it. Works like a charm and it isn't lumpy!
Lumps are the worst :(

didnt know i was supposed to use cold water.. lol

Solution? Eat the powder! Bu seriously...its been an issue of mine for many a month, trying to get a nice mixture of protein powder and water/milk. Usually the anger makes me perform better in the gym, but, ill consider using your solution to the problem. xD

Yay, I now know how to mix protein shakes :D

i showed your blog a friend of mine how studys this kind of thing (i cant remember how its called) and he is impressed how good you know about your subjec
+1

Good stuff, now show me how I can make it taste better lol!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More