Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Wiedemann-Franz Law and Electron's Independent Spin and Charge


In 1853, Wiedermann and Franz found that elemental metals conducted electricity and heat at roughly the same ratios at the same temperature. This is because electricity moves through electrons, and heat uses electron's charge and spin to move through a metal. "For the past 150-plus years, the Wiedemann-Franz law has proved to be remarkably robust, the ratio varying at most by around 50 per cent amongst the thousands of metallic systems studied. [1]"

In 1996, American physicists C. L. Kane and Matthew Fisher predicted that the Wiedemann-Franz Law could be violated if electrons were confined to a single dimension. Electrons in 1D would have independent charge and spin excitation. Well, they found a metal that could prove this.

Purple bronze is a metal with a one dimension electrical property, conducting heat well, but not conducting electricity. Its 1D property may have something to do with its "3D crystal, but with a quasi 1-dimensional band structure." In my own non-complicated words, it's a bunch of extremely thin wires that lie right next to each other but do not touch. This unique structure allows it to have 1D atomic chains, which is possible on 2D structure like graphene, but very unusual for complex 3D strctures. 3D structures tend to electron coupling within the complex. However, in PB, 1D atomic chains confine electrons so they can't move around very much. Because electricity depends on electron movement, PB does not transmit electricity very well. Professor Hussey of the Correlated Electron Systems Group at the University of Bristol said, "the electrons are effectively confined to individual chains and thus creating a one-dimensional world inside the three-dimensional complex." 

You might be thinking that this isn't so impressive because other compounds have one-dimensional electrical properties, as well, e.g. diamonds. Diamonds conduct heat, but not electricity. However, diamond is pure carbon, an organic element, while PB is metallic. The fact that PB breaks the rules and shares properties similar to non-metals is an interesting challenge to the Wiedemann-Franz Law, and the fact that something 1D can exist in a 3D structure will let scientists see the effects of dimension on electron charge and spin.

PB?

What is bronze? It's basically any alloy of copper and another metal. For example, tungsten oxide bronzes (copper with tungsten and oxygen) and molybdenum bronzes (copper and molybdenum) have been proposed for use as ion-selective electrodes. Purple bronze (Li0.9Mo6O17) is lithium, molybdenum, and oxygen. It's not actually a "purple bronze". The alloy named so because of its unique color, either purple or bronze, depending on the optical orientation.

Original article found here.


An article from Nature on the violation of the WF Law, but this time more on 1D nature of electron spin.
Some of this is confusing for me. By the way, the spinon and the holon mentioned are just statistical representations of group properties and not actual particles.


Purple bronze research at MSU

34 comments:

very interesting, I really like your blog, though could you explain in a next post what exactly spin is, I read the article on wikipedia and all I could figure out is that is has something to do with the rotation of the electron or st.

great post! your information is very interesting, i'll follow you...see you!

I honestly tried to read it, but I just couldn't =(

The words kept telling me I'm stupid =(

so did their experiment prove the equation wrong after all? what where their conclusions?

@T Papar: Dr. Lane and Dr. Fischer simply hypothesized the possibility of a metal that could break the WF law. Other researchers conducted the experiment, 14-15 years later, and published the article on it.

I love when I read your posts while my gf is next to me she's all like "I can explain that, too! Blablablablabla :D"

Too...much...math. Head...about...*BOOM*

''By the way, the spinon and the holon mentioned in this article are not real particles; they're just statistical representations of group properties. '' Well said.

Well that was a good read, somewhat confusing but thanks!

Interesting, but you lost me here hahaha

Once again, you blast my mind with science and I can't get enough. Great post. Oh and that's awesome you went to high school in HB haha, so did I. You should head down here this weekend. Free MGMT concert at the US Open of Surfing!

Purple Bronze? interesting stuff

this is some impresive stuff..like your blog...following! check my out
http://toughanswer.blogspot.com

Blew my mind, thats all i gotta say lol.

I tried, but I couldn't. My brain started to scream ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!

The reason why Pb has properties close to non-metal is due to its atomic radius and electronegativety. So like non-metals, they attract electrons, and are have high electronegativeties, while Pb being close to the metaloids has a sort of mild electronegativety showing slight properties of non-metals. So it doesn't break the rules, more like bend them.

I tried to learn through your blog but it went right over my head, I think I need to go back to school!

So if Purple Bronze does violate Wiedemann-Franz would it have practical applications? (I would think so, but this isn't really my domain).

That errr, blew my mind, not even gonna lie.

This certainly raises new questions! Very informative!

Not my field of expertise, but it was still a fascinating read, thanks!

I'm diggin the purple bronze. Keep it comin.

a metal that doesnt conduct electricity, my head asplodes O.o

oh god, that just hurt my brain something fierce
gonna have to rethink my life now

I feel like I oughta be gettin' confrontational on behalf of the Wiedemann-Franz Law or somethin'. "Oh you had to go ONE dimensional in order to prove it wrong, huh? Had to go ninety degrees on a nigga, HUH?! Couldn't just step up 'bout it, ya had ta side-step and shift to a one-dimensional field in order to prove it wrong, yah? SPEAK ON IT, DAWG!"

Not my kind of field, but interesting nonetheless...especially that there's ANYTHING physical that can be studied in a field outside of three dimensions.

I know, I know...physics go beyond that, but as a laymen I simply do not see how it can be done...at least, I don't know how.

I love that by scaling down to the 1-dimensional plane, we can also learn about other dimensions.

What exactly is this purple bronze?

someone tried to explain this to me before...and i didnt get it then either hahaha. interesting post though

You know, how interesting can this blog get? I'm so glad I found this blog!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More