Sunday, August 14, 2011

No Science Sunday: Wine Edition


It's Sunday, the day of rest! I like to relax on Sundays and read books with big bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos and a few glasses of good wine.

Got a date or going to a fancy dinner? Looking to spend 9 or 10 bucks on the best bottle of wine to enjoy with your company? Go for a wine made in Portugal as a general rule of thumb. Given Portugal has the lowest wages in EU, they're pump out good wines at a comparatively low price.




25 bucks? No thanks.

Yesterday, I was at a wine shop looking for a good bottle of wine for a professor of mine, and I overheard a lady smugly complaining about how she is so sensitive to sulfites in "lesser wines" and it gives her headaches. I could tell she had no idea what she was talking about. Sulfite allergies manifest in asthmatic or anaphylactic reactions, never headaches. I guess some people like throwing around buzzwords they hear once at a wine tasting at a bar or read about Consumer Reports. Anyways, the salesman offered her a Conundrum, which she happily got.

Conundrum is definitely expensive, and I am not sure if they're worth the money, given that there any many superior wines priced a little less.  I got an Evolution from Oregon for myself. It's as good for only 15 dollars. I certainly can't tell the difference. YMMV.

Unrelated note: saved 70 bucks today by changing my own engine and cabin air filters myself.

26 comments:

nice blog! keep up the good and creative work! +followed

Some people just want to feel cool and classy without actually being either one of those. :)

I've never tried this wine. When I get wine I usually stick to Australian wines because they're cheaper but just as good..usually I drink beer though ;)

i like wine, but just because a wine is expensive doesn't mean it's good, I know a lot of cheap good wines:-)

I've never been a big fan of wine, but that may be because I haven't found one i liked.

I'm sure I've seen a few studies were wine clubs couldn't actually tell the difference between white and red wine if blindfolded. Maybe I am just imagining it, though.

Most red wines taste pretty much the same to me. The only red wine I like was a 20 year old bottle I raided from my grandparents basement years ago. Age seems to make the biggest difference in alcohol, not necessarily price.

Oo good advice... but cheetos and wine? bleh.

very interesting, great post, bro.

congrats!

I love some good wine anytime

Darn the sulfurites, haha. Some people don't want to admit they don't know as much as they think they do

@Javier: Can you give us any recommendations? I'm really into trying new wines! Two Buck Chuck is really good. Charles is a true genius. When he first started out, Charles went sought the top of the line winemakers and bought some of the grapes that the vineyard owners thought weren't quite up to snuff, getting the creme de la creme grapes at a really low price. When his competitors finally saw how popular his Two Buck Chuck was getting, they stopped selling him their grapes and he had to switch suppliers. Two Buck Chuck isn't as good as it once was, but it's still very good. LA Times and a few other newspapers did a piece on him. Very interesting story.

@Sub-Radar-Mike: Psh. I don't eat them together!!

Yep, nothing better than sit, relax and drink some wine. But I prefer red wine.

Must be better than the wine that comes in a box.

I love wine... Since the cheap to the one I cant pay. :P
This one seems be wonderful... hmmmm

I'm a screwdriver kind of man myself, but I will certainly be acquiring my taste for wine in the near future. I only recently became horribly surprised by just HOW marked up alcohol is in the restaurant industry...I've been serving tables for years, and only in the last year have I begun drinking. There are glasses of wine we serve that are more expensive than the bottles in my place!

Granted, those ARE the cheap wines, but it surprised me nevertheless. I'm a pragmatic purchaser, so it makes very little sense to drink a double Captain + Coke with my meal, when I have a handle of it on call in the fridge for less than triple the cost.

I rarely drink with my meals anyway, so there's that.

I'm not a huge wine fan, but if I drink it, it has to be a heavy shiraz. Aussie wine is the one for me.


Also, is that the Sokol Evolution (from Oregon), that one is actually pretty nice.

I like homemade dew berry wine, that stuff is amazingly good, at least the way this old man makes it.

Wine is always nice along with a home cooked dinner after a long day at work. BTW Nice layout

I'm not much of a wine guy. To me, it's all about whiskey.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More